Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Planning ahea...

I don't care when my work day starts. It is okay if my first meeting is at 7:30 a.m. or at 10 a.m. I just want plenty of time in the morning to read the paper, check my email, putz around, find my keys, and do all the little things it takes to feel prepared for the day.

No matter when I need to leave the house, I am almost always rushing because I've filled up my morning time with all these kinds of things. So I do not usually take time to think about meals for the day. I usually figure I'll just grab some food when I need it.

Except now I am preparing for a money fast. April 3 to 21, along with some other Foundry folk, I will be trying to not spend money for anything that's not absolutely essential.

Yesterday morning I realized that I had a meeting in one section of the city that would be ending at about 12:15 and another meeting outside the city that would be beginning at 1:30. Normally I wouldn't think ahead but just stop somewhere, a supermarket with a salad bar maybe or a convenience store, and grab some food.

But, in anticipation of the fast, I decided I should prepare a bag lunch to eat between my meetings yesterday so I would not be unnecessarily spending money. I made a sandwich out of whole wheat bread and lunch meat and squirted some mustard on it. I found a sandwich bag. I found a left-over plastic container and put some broccoli slaw we had in the refrigerator in it along with some cherry tomatoes and a squirt of balsamic vinegar. I grabbed a bottle of spring water.

It took me maybe five minutes (less time than stopping at a convenience store), cost maybe $2.00, and was probably healthier than the food I would have bought otherwise.

Wierd. What I don't want to bother doing is taking the time and energy to plan ahead. I'd rather spend a few more minutes with the newspaper and just rush out the door and deal with food as I go through my day. What does this say about me?

And it is a reminder that most of the world does not have this luxury.

PS -- I have a volunteer to be a guest bogger! Thank you, Michael. If you'd like to be a guest blogger (so it is not all about me), just email me your blog and I'll post it. Or else, if you'd prefer to blog directly, let me know and I'll ask my techie friend Katie if she can figure out how to let you do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment