Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Guest blogger -- Alicia Gutierrez

I decided not to do the money fast, mostly because I dealt with similar issues recently when I decided to switch jobs and work part-time. But, hearing the sermons has allowed me to reflect on the changes I made when I found myself with less discretionary income.

The money fast discipline that resonated most with me is the idea of shopping as entertainment. This was something I used to do frequently; it was easy because I worked in Friendship Heights, a mecca for all kinds of shopping. During lunch breaks or after a particularly stressful day I would shop for shoes and clothes. Or sometimes it was books and cards. Half priced Christmas cards in January, I'll take them, even if they would likely be forgotten in a drawer come December.

Now I rarely shop for entertainment. My new hobby is simple and free - walking my dog. We have walked the streets of Logan Circle everyday for the last couple of years. I have come to appreciate the beautiful and not so beautiful aspects of the neighborhood I call home. Our long walks also encouraged me to pick up a dormant hobby, photography. Since I usually don't print my photographs, this is also free. In addition to being a creative outlet, it's something I contribute to Foundry and other organizations that I believe in.

Giving up shopping as entertainment has literally gotten me out into the world, embracing and appreciating everyday in a deeper and more meaningful way.

(Thanks, Alicia! If you have thoughts to share, email me at dsnyder at foundryumc.org.)

No comments:

Post a Comment