Sunday, March 27, 2011

Guest blogger -- Michael Talon

Growing up in a family where money came and money went tainted my view of the place that it should have in my life. We were what you would typically call “well off” yet constantly without money for simple things. Like most kids I grew up swearing that I would never have to deny myself anything; if I wanted something I was going to buy it. Needless to say things didn’t necessarily work out that way.

Heading into Foundry with my partner, I wasn’t aware that Lent was upon us or even that there were things the congregation were about to begin doing to honor the Lenten time. I was raised as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and for me this new world of Christianity is eye-opening and sometimes conflicting in my soul. However, that morning when Rev. Snyder began to speak about the money fast, I was taken to a place where the feeling of the congregation took hold of me. This was something that intrigued me and sent me from that service looking for guidance and information on money, our views and most importantly how I could simplify my life.

I read a published report by Dr. Roger Henderson, a researcher from the UK, called “Money Sickness Syndrome”. It was sent to me by a good friend of mine who knew that I was looking at this Lent as a new spiritual experience. There were multiple points that he brought up as to how we can become sick with a syndrome that we are unable to diagnose or treat externally. This “sickness” is one that leads us all back to a place of unrest, failing hearts and minds and most importantly the ability to ignore the important things in life. This syndrome can even create an atmosphere where we turn a blind eye to the very issues that Christ was enabling Christians to help.

One of the points he recognizes is that it does not matter where on the income scale we live we are all susceptible to this syndrome. Do we feel the need to concentrate on our money and the keeping of it or making more? Are we unable to separate our happiness from the pursuit and use of money? Do we use the spending of money in small or large amounts as a crutch to get us through periods of others success or our own failures?

These questions are the ones that I personally took to heart. We must always as Christians test out our faith and rely on the spiritual bond we have with God during all trials. I believe that this time of Lent is one where I will need to feel out my faith and as Peter said, “cast my anxieties out upon him, because he cares for you.” (1 Peter 5:7) The question I wish to answer, and one that this published report helped me realize, is am I ready to trust God as I attempt to live my life free of the anxiety of money?

(Thanks so much, Michael.)

No comments:

Post a Comment