Sunday, March 13, 2011

Oh, how I love Stabucks

Out of all the money I spend, the money I spend at Starbucks makes the least sense … and it is the spending that I most dread giving up when I do the money fast. On my way into my office at the church every morning, I love to stop at Starbucks and buy a cup of hot tea. It costs $2.70.

Sometimes in the afternoon, if I think I need a break, I take a walk and buy a second cup of tea for $2.70.

I've done this for years. My Starbucks gold card is dated 2003.

I drink my tea black. I pay $2.70 for tea bags and hot water.

When I first started buying tea at Starbucks, the baristas would motion me to come close and then they would whisper to me: "You know you can buy a box of tea bags and make your own tea. It would only cost you a few cents."

"You just boil some water and pour it over the teabag," they'd say.

This happened several times. Even the Starbucks' employees were trying to help me not spend so much money at Starbucks.

So I know this. The way I spend money is not purely rational. Sometimes it is not rational at all. So I suspect there is something I can learn about my heart and soul by paying attention to the way I spend money.

I expect that until I start the money fast April 3 I will continue to buy tea at Starbucks. Don't be surprised if you see me there. After the fast, I expect it will be the first place I will spend money Easter morning.

But in between April 3 and Easter, as I contemplate the ways I spend money, I hope that the money fast will teach me something about my relationship with God, my relationship with my own soul --maybe even something about my addictions and idolatries, my relationship with others, and especially my relationship with the poor.

(From my sermon today.)

2 comments:

  1. I really like the blog and I think it will be a good way to share our experiences. My husband and I started up on Ash Wed and we have already experienced many moments to pause and think about how we are spending money. The biggest thing has been the snacks/coffee that I get throughout the day. Partly out of something to do, partly out of hunger.

    Also, we attempted to walk out of whole foods yesterday for under $20 getting only a few necessary basics and somehow it snuck up to $21.69. It's really made us think how difficult it can be to stick to a strict budget, especially when you don't have the means to go over that amount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cup of tea probably has more with your needing to take a walk, schmooze with people other than your staff, etc. Especially when you're doing some thinking work. Hopefully the April weather will make it possible for you to do that with your own hot water and tea bag.

    ReplyDelete