Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Ash Wednesday

Today, Ash Wednesday, I am beginning my preparations for a 21-day money fast beginning April 3 and ending Easter morning April 24. Some Foundry folk are joining in the fast.

During the first three weeks of Lent I will be keeping a record of all the money I spend to become more aware of my spending. During the last three weeks I will be trying not to spend any money, other than for the basics of life -- food staples from the supermarket, gas for the car, offerings and charitable giving. Also, I will use no plastic – neither credit nor debit cards.

I will basically follow the rules laid out by Michelle Singletary in her book "The Power to Prosper." Her list of things we can purchase during the fast includes: essential foods, medicines, hygiene products, and cleaning supplies. That's pretty much it.

Then she adds: "Let the Holy Spirit speak to you on what is and what isn't allowed while you fast."

So I plan on keeping my appointment to get a haircut unless the Holy Spirit says otherwise.

Today already I have spent lots of money that I will not be spending during my money fast. I stopped at Starbucks on my way into work to buy a cup of tea. I went out with some of our staff for breakfast after our early Ash Wednesday service. I had lunch with a co-worker.

During the fast I will make my own tea. When I invite someone to lunch, I will prepare lunch for us that morning and invite my guest to have lunch with me at the church.

The purpose of this fast is to see how money affects my relationship with God and others. I am realizing already that money is a great convenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment