Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lent 2012

Welcome to Lent 2012. Last year we did a money fast during the season of Lent. This year our topic is forgiveness and we are inviting everyone to think and pray about forgiving others, ourselves, and maybe even God.

There is a book to read: Why Forgive? by Johann Christoph Arnold of the Bruderhof Community, an Anabaptist group similar to the Amish. The book is full of stories and I was moved by it the first time I read it 9 or ten years ago. It is actually now available for free as an ebook here.

My goal this Lent is to forgive two resentments that have festered inside of me for years -- one for more than 50 years. I have also set a goal of accepting God's forgiveness for two things in my life that I have felt guilty about for years. I am not looking forward to it. I have been attached to this resentment and guilt for a long time. I am not sure how to let them go.

We have groups here at Foundry for you to join to think, share and pray about forgiveness. Read about them here. I encourage you to join one or start your own. It only takes two people to make a group.

As always, I welcome your reflections. If you'd like to be a guest blogger, email me your blog and I will post it. dsnyder at foundryumc dot org.

Join us for ashes tomorrow, Ash Wednesday. We will be imposing them at Foundry at 8 a.m. and 7 p.m. Our Sunday Night @ Foundry crew will be giving out ashes at the Dupont Circle Metro stop from 8 to 9 tomorrow morning if you'd like ashes to go.

May you have a holy Lent!

No comments:

Post a Comment